Last day of the heelwork challenge! I hope that you feel that your heelwork has improved – at least mine has. I would like to send you some final, summary words – and of course know how many heelwork sessions you have done in the past few weeks. The one with the most heelwork sessions will win an online private session with me!
Report your heelwork training via this form no later than March 1st 2019 23:59 GMT+2 to participate in the competition.
My best heelwork training tips are:
- practice your heelwork every day
- analyze what you and your dog need to train the most
- divide the training into details, endurance and distractions – and then combine them
- have a strategy so that you do not mistrain the heelwork.
And on the question “will the heelwork ever be done?” I answer “no”. There is a need for constant training and reminder of it, especially if the dog has been hunting or trialing and has been practicing a little less than desirable heelwork. But it gets better – the more you train, the better it will become, even if it feels like an everlasting project so practice the heelwork every day and between “more fun” things like casting the dog to work at a distance.
- Make a new heelwork diagnosis and compare it to the one you did when the challenge started.
- Train heelwork at least once. (Note how many sessions and minutes of heelwork you do. Train what you and your dog need – it doesn’t have to be the training in the blog post of the day.)
- Report your training via this form no later than March 1st 2019 23:59 GMT+2 to participate in the competition.
- Feel free to tell us and others about your training by commenting on the posts on our website and/or Facebook page.
- If you haven’t participated in the challenge from the start, read here to find out how it works: Day 1: Heelwork challenge.
- Subscribe to our blog to receive emails when new training tips are available.
Want to improve your heelwork even more? Check out our online courses and webinar on heelwork!
Online course: Heelwork for Gun Dogs – w/o personal feedbackProduct on sale$60.00 – $90.00
Online course: Heelwork for Gun Dogs – personal feedbackProduct on sale$105.00 – $150.00